The Two Minute Hateperiod – Immanuel Goldstein – 1984
A Video from our Theaterproduction „George Orwells 1984“ in March 2008 in the Theater in OP in Goettingen
Nur die Diktatur ist Demokratie. Die Demokratie ist immer Diktatur.
Krieg ist Frieden, Freiheit ist Sklaverei und Unwissenheit ist Stärke!
In George Orwell’s novel Nineteen Eighty-Four, the Two Minutes Hate is a daily period in which Party members of the society of Oceania must watch a film depicting the Party’s enemies (notably Emmanuel Goldstein and his followers) and express their hatred for them.
The film and its accompanying auditory and visual cues (which include a grinding noise that Orwell describes as „of some monstrous machine running without oil“) are a form of brainwashing to Party members, attempting to whip them into a frenzy of hatred and loathing for Emmanuel Goldstein and the current enemy superstate. Apparently, it is not uncommon for those caught up in the hate to physically assault the telescreen, as Julia does during the scene.
The film becomes more surreal as it progresses, with Goldstein’s face morphing into a sheep as enemy soldiers advance on the viewers, before one such soldier charges at the screen, submachine gun blazing. He morphs, finally, into the face of Big Brother at the end of the two minutes. At the end, the mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausted viewers chant „B-B!…B-B!“ over and over again, ritualistically.
Within the book, the purpose of the Hate is said to satisfy the citizens‘ subdued feelings of angst and hatred from leading such a wretched, controlled existence. By re-directing these subconscious feelings away from the Oceanian government and toward external enemies (which likely do not even exist), the Party minimizes subversive thought and behavior.
In the first Two Minutes Hate of the book, the audience is introduced to Inner Party member and key character O’Brien. Within the novel, hate week is an extrapolation of the two-minute period into an annual week-long festival.
Origins of the term
Orwell did not invent the term „two minutes hate“; it was already in use in the First World War. At that time, British writers satirised the German campaign of hatred against the English, and imagined a Prussian family sitting around the kitchen table having its „morning hate“.
The evening of this same inspection was one of the few occasions on which Pommier was bombarded. A sudden two minutes’ ‘hate’ of about 40 shells, 4.2 and 5.9, wounded three men and killed both the C.O.’s horses, ‘Silvertail’ and ‘Baby’
- Immanuel Wallerstein on Our Crumbling Empire (craigconsidine.wordpress.com)
- Immanuel Bible #4 (aselsi.wordpress.com)
- George Orwell „1984″ (urbanintell.com)
- Would You Put a Television at the Foot of Your Bed? (casasugar.com)
- Pee-wee Herman (framework.latimes.com)
- AMS 2011 Co-ed Soccer Schedule (assumptionsports.wordpress.com)
- Kim Kardashian Talks Russian Literature, Foreign Policy & Immanuel Kant In Cosmo’s August Issue (thegloss.com)
- New Jersey Patent Attorney Stuart M. Goldstein Helps Client Receive Patent on Design for Camera Embedded within Firearm that Shoots Evidentiary Photos as the Weapon Fires (prweb.com)
- Adinolfi and Goldstein Launches Professional Clothing Drive to Help Women Returning to the Workforce (prweb.com)
- LCMS Disaster Response Leaders Head to Joplin, Mo. (prweb.com)
- Immanuel Wallerstein and the Problem of the World: System, Scale, Culture downloads (yotdouoa.typepad.com)
- Downloads Opus Postumum (The Cambridge Edition of the Works of Immanuel Kant in Translation) (nbyafcy.typepad.com)
- 1 change seen with shift at Alegent (omaha.com)
- Three Minute Philosophy – Immanuel Kant – YouTube (jrduboc.wordpress.com)
- Download Abodh Hq (mukoyra.typepad.com)
- Immanuel Kant in just three minutes (jeremystyron.com)
- Anything for Money Movie (ipaataf.typepad.com)
- Front ohne Gnade Film Divx (dripiei.typepad.com)
- Jimmy Goldstein gets good seats (espn.go.com)
- Ela na… gymnothoume, darling The Movie In High Quality (lbuqzee.typepad.com)
- George Orwell’s „1984″ (An Analysis Essay) (socyberty.com)
- Nineteen Eighty-Four – George Orwell (ucgbookchallenge.wordpress.com)
- George Orwell’s 1984 and Animal Farm movies, watch them free online (dphilosophy.com)
- This Goldstein Economy (dailycapitalist.com)
- 1984 by George Orwell (auxochromiccoffee.wordpress.com)
- Who Is Julia (tarpon.wordpress.com)
- This Might Interest You… A Graphic Representation of the Ideas in 1984 (nauticalf7.wordpress.com)
- Noah Oppenheim to Write New Adaptation of George Orwell’s 1984 (collider.com)
- From Civilization to Big Brother: how a game recreated Orwell’s 1984 (guardian.co.uk)
- Tim Robbins: I’ve thrown out my TV (telegraph.co.uk)